Wine Food Photos Header

Tuesday 27 March 2007

McWilliams 2005 Inheritance Chardonnay

- - - - -

I feel the need to start this first review with a bit of a caveat - I enjoy wine, I love the aromas, the taste on my palate and the smooth finish of a good wine. However I'm no expert and this is simply my opinion. The people who will read this blog will most likely not share my passion for wine - but that's ok. This review, and others like it to come, will hopefully get you to see what I'm talking about!

- - - - -

This is a rich, fruit-driven Chardonnay featuring ripe mango and tropical fruit aromas. The palate has an abundance of fresh peach and nectarine flavours balanced with a crisp, clean finish.
So reads the description on the back of the bottle. Often I wonder how they come up with such descriptions - sometimes you wonder if they've subtly added these flavours during the fermentation process or if what's written is just a load of waffle.

Unfortunately with this wine it felt like a lot of waffle. Whilst it seemed to promise lots, I was relatively disappointed it didn't live up to it's labelling. That said it was still a relatively nice Chardonnay, having most characteristics of Chardonnay I have come to expect. Whilst lacking the fruity aromas I was hoping for, it certainly delivered on the crisp and clean finish. The palate, whilst fruit generally, didn't appear to have the peach/nectarine qualities I was hoping for, or they were too subtle for me to notice.

Overall a nice, but mostly average, drop considering it was only $8.

-

No comments: